When it comes to mission critical industries, printed circuit boards have to meet rigorous standards. The boards have to be high on reliability, low on maintenance and also have to perform under difficult environmental conditions.
It is for this reason that the AS9100D certification has been instated as a global aerospace manufacturing standard for the aerospace industry. It covers:
- Aircraft component and materials manufacturers
- Aircraft part and assembly designers
- Quality management organizations and other companies that work with aerospace manufacturers
The certification ensures that certified PCB manufacturers and designers work relentlessly towards delivering highest quality PCBs.
What really is the AS9100D certification?
Released in 2009, this standard incorporates all the requirements of ISO 9001 requirements with additional industry specific requirements for aerospace and defense industries. In fact, most aerospace manufacturers and suppliers require compliance with AS9100 as a condition of doing business with them.
Broadly AS9100D focuses on 5 core processes in the aerospace industry, namely:
- Quality Management Systems
- Management Responsibilities
- Resource Management
- Product Realization
- Measures of Improvement
By doing this, it ensures there is uniform compliance.
As far as the certification process for AS9100 goes, it is quite extensive and among other things involves:
- 2 on-site audits
- Various internal audits
- Annual surveillance audits, and more
To obtain this certificate, electronics manufacturers have to follow a stringent list of standards over and above the basic ISO 9001 requirements. Not just that, contract manufacturer has to continue to fulfill the accepted standards year on year for renewals. Some of the standards that need to be fulfilled include:
- Better configuration management than ISO9001
- Risk management procedures
- Industry-critical processes
- Focus on timely delivery
- Supplier approval process
- Prevention of counterfeit components
Essentially, the goal of the certification is to demonstrate that the electronic contract manufacturing partner can offer products that meet statutory guidelines as well as customer requirements.
The AS9100D certification is contingent on the following aspects:
- Product safety – This of course is the key consideration of the certification. Product safety needs to be demonstrated through the entire cycle of the PCB as also high-temperature applications.
- Risk Based Thinking – Risk of course needs to be factored into all products including PCB boards. With rules around risk management becoming more stringent, proactive steps need to be taken to remain compliant.
- Counterfeit Parts Prevention – The latest certification includes a whole lot of clauses that ensure that the use of fraudulent products is identified and stopped.
- Human Factors – Under this certification, human failures are seen as a part of the failure of the system and it therefore offers an opportunity to improve the overall process.
Advantages of AS9100D certification in aerospace PCB manufacturing
With an AS9100D certification, you can rest assured that the contract manufacturer is committed to providing high-quality aerospace electronics PCB assembly & design. Some of the advantages offered include:
- Customer Satisfaction – Whether you are looking at prototypes or full production runs, with an AS9100D certification you can be assured of complete satisfaction whether it is to do with PCN quality and its adherence to stringent quality standards or that the boards will be delivered on time.
- Optimal Costs – With the AS9100D certification offering continuous improvement to the manufacturing operations, what it also brings is cost-effective price points.
- Turnaround times – The processes so honed, offer quick turnaround times that make go-to-market that much easier.
Keeping up with AS9100 certification
Once electronics manufacturing companies earn the certification, they need to go through regular renewals. This ensures that they are complying with revisions if any. Recertification audits ensure that compliance is fully followed. While the recertification audit verifies compliance with all clauses of the standards, surveillance audits only review a sample of the clauses.
To sum up
With AS9100D Certification, you can rest assured that your Aerospace PCB Assembly will come with:
- Improved product and process reliability
- On-time delivery
- Increased efficiency, reduced waste, better resource utilization
- Improved bottom-line
Doing business with an AS9100D certified company will help you achieve a reliable product, better performance and efficient ways of working. Clearly then, the certification is the defining factor that stands between financial success and costly mistakes.
As an AS9100D certified PCB manufacturer, we combine state-of-the-art technology with our advanced engineering to deliver unparalleled quality aerospace PCB manufacturing services. With our four decades of experience, you can rest assured that we are cognizant of the industry’s best practices and will keep you ahead of the curve. Visit to know more about aerospace electronics PCB assembly & design or feel free to contact us. Also, you can drop an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 714/630-9200.
#Aerospace #PCB #Manufacturing #Technotronix